Zea mays (mays) has about 2.3-gigabase genome size. The current Reference Genome for Maize is B73 RefGen_v3 annotation build (5b+). B73 RefGen_v3 used Roche/454 reads produced from a whole genome shotgun (WGS) sequencing library to capture missing gene space within and between the original BACs. It has the following facts:
● Number of chromosomes: 12 (2n=24)
● Number of unplaced scaffolds: 511
● Number of protein-coding genes: 39475
● Number of transcripts: 63391
● 2013---Fu J et al. 368 maize kernel RNA sequencing.
 Schnable PS, Ware D, et al. 2009.The B73 maize genome: complexity, diversity, and dynamics. Science. 326:1112-1115.
 Campbell MS, Law M, Holt C, Stein JC, Moghe GD, Hufnagel DE, Lei J, Achawanantakun R, Jiao D, Lawrence CJ et al. MAKER-P: A Tool Kit for the Rapid Creation, Management, and Quality Control of Plant Genome Annotations. Plant Physiol 2014. 164:513-524.